Friday, April 25, 2014

Behind the Comic Strip: Jarom Knudsen


Last term Jarom Knudsen walked into The Commuter office and simply said he wanted to write comics for the paper. And so he does.

Graduating spring term with an emphasis on computer science and digital arts, he plans on transferring to University of Oregon or University of Washington.

Creating comic strips is a new hobby of his but he's been reading them since a kid, like Batman, for example. Current favorites include Penny Arcade and the webcomic XKCD.

"They're witty, they're smart. It's high-end humor."

During his time with The Commuter he has yet to create his own character series but he finds inspiration around him. Crediting Gary Larson's The Far Side and "Star Wars" for some of his humorous depictions, he also finds influence from fellow staffer Jason Maddox who does Three's a Crowd.

Something as simple as observing a fight over a crossword puzzle can inspire him to create a strip (like a few issues ago). Music also plays a part. He likes to listen to music with no words when he writes and let's it influence his art.

"I'm working on a piece really epic right now so the music I listen to is epic."

He hopes to create his own comic. His ideal plan is a graphic novel that's fun, original, a little crazy, and probably doesn't have any bounds.

"The only thing I'm good at is being honest."

As humble as he may be, Knudsen has inked impressive works for the paper thus far. Noting that he has always been a creator, drawing seems to soothe his mind.

"When I get done drawing something late at night I'm relaxed. If I don't draw I don't sleep."

Knudsen is open for feedback from his peers.

"I'd even settle for hate-mail! I want to see what's good and what can be improved."

1 comment: