Sunday, October 5, 2014

LBCC: To Vote or Not to Vote, That is the Question

There are seven universities and 17 community colleges in Oregon—that’s a lot of students.

This November, Oregonians will cast their votes on 2014 general election ballot measures. Since 1996 an average of 12 measures have appeared on the Oregon ballot, this year being below average with only seven.

Decisions will be made on judicial authorities and elections, immigration laws, civil rights, legalization of marijuana, and labeling of genetically modified foodstuffs (GMOs). Most important for students to pay attention to is Measure 86; amending the constitution to require legislation to create funds for Oregonians pursuing post-secondary education.

Additionally, on the Linn and Benton county ballots will be a decision of the proposed $34 million bond for LBCC (as discussed in last week’s edition) used for renovations and expansions of LBCC campuses and programs.

This month, over 100 LBCC students were asked if they will be casting their vote. Of those asked, 33 percent said they do not intend on voting.

Of those students not voting, 85 percent that said they will not be voting because "it doesn't affect me." The majority of the rest said they choose not to vote because they "don't know enough."

If Measure 86 is passed, the state will be allowed to create a certain debt with extended credit to college students, including those in technical, professional, and career training programs.

LBCC has nearly 100 programs to offer roughly 7,000 enrolled students.

A two-year program at LBCC costs the average state resident around $9,000, not including books and student fees. For many students cost matters and assistance to pay for school could make a difference between completion and withdrawal.

In 2015 tuition at LBCC will increase adding more financial responsibility on students. If Measure 86 does not pass, students will not have access to an exclusive fund set aside by the state to assist in the cost of tuition.

Here are a few responses from students and their reasons to vote or not to vote.

"I feel like as a member of community I should voice my opinion and be an active member."

- Brianna Anderson

"I believe in being politically active. Obviously how the country is now run is not my perfect ideal and the difference I can make is to do something."

- Anika Hall

" I haven't yet (voted) and it's kind of a scary thought. It's a big decision."

- Ethan Taylor

"I feel like voting is how I will make a difference in the world and most of the people in charge are stuck in the past."

- Jessica Drexler

"I joined the military and it's a right I joined to protect; freedom."

- Daniel Pace

"I'm not informed and if you're not informed you can't make a decision. The media presents to you whatever they want to. They twist things so you get lies anyways."

-Veronica Perez

"I feel like everyone has a right to vote and it's better to use that right."

-Ali Knox

"I've registered, I just haven't learned a lot and don't want to just blindly vote."

- Rachael Choquette

No comments:

Post a Comment