Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Muslim encounter: My time at a Mosque


I visited the Salman Alfarisi Islamic Center in Corvallis last friday afternoon. I have driven by many times, but didn't know it was a mosque. I was surprised by what I found inside.

As people interacted, I noticed a lot of physical contact, whether it was a hug or walking with their arm wrapped around another; the community appeared close-knit and loving.
Upon my arrival, I was directed to the “ladies room” where the women prayed. The entrance to their area was marked as such and was upstairs in a much smaller space than the men’s area.

Judy Russell was kind enough to be my host. She was born to an American Christian family, but has practiced Islam for 32 years. She explained that no one has particular status in their mosque, as is typical for the religion, however, she is one of the longest members of this mosque.

Russell started studying Islam when she attended OSU and took a History of the Middle East class. She always believed in God and when she learned of Muhammad, she made a Declaration of Faith to him and Allah.

“Consciously I was not looking for a religion but subconsciously I was.” Since her commitment to Islam, she said, “I have learned to put my trust in God, in God’s decisions in my life, and I’m learning not to question Him. I don’t have to worry about anything. He is in control.”

The ladies’ space was open, with padded benches that lined the room, and in the center were long Persian-style rugs. They stood on the rugs in a row, shoulder-to-shoulder and foot-to-foot, for ritual prayer requirements. They prayed together and then had the option, Russell explained, for private prayer. “If we want to just sit here and talk to God, we can do that too.”

The prayer room seemed like a place someone had just moved into and not yet decorated. I asked Russell why there was no art on the walls. She said that there are to be no pictures of people or animals on the walls - that would be a sin.

“Creations of the law need not be worshiped or venerated. We don’t use the name of God as art because it’s not art.” However, some forms of calligraphy and geometric designs are allowed.

When I asked why they were praying separate from the men, she gave me an interesting answer. I figured that some of the reason was modesty, but she added that it also limits distraction.

“Women are attracted to men as men are to women, but we’re not here to watch the other bend over.” Since their ritual prayer involves bowing onto their hands and knees, a butt in the air is in poor taste. She said that it was not because women are secondary - if they had a bigger church they would be allowed to pray behind the men.

We discussed their head cover and dress attire. She explained, which I was not aware of before, that the “hijab” refers to the combination of head scarf, attitude, and other items of clothing combined. She explained that all of her hair and neck must be covered at all times when in public or in the presence of non-Muslim men or women.

“We don’t wear it as fashion, we wear it as obedience to Allah.” Around Muslim “sisters” as she called the other ladies of the mosque, or with her direct male family such as dad, brother or grandpa, she does not have to wear it. Even though she admits the attire is hot, she said Muslim women don’t complain about the discomfort because, “It’s not punishment, it’s a test. It’s part of the obedience [to Allah].”

No comments:

Post a Comment