Friday, May 1, 2015

Katherine Miles: 15-year-old college student, business owner and fashion designer

Photo by Marwah Alzabidi
Standing 5-feet-tall and wearing braces, 15-year-old Katherine Miles is a college student, business owner and fashion designer.

Dual enrolled in the PACE program with Scio High School, Miles has three terms under her belt at LBCC. She will graduate with an AAOT and a high school diploma by the age of 17. If all goes as planned, she will then move to one of country's fashion hubs, Los Angeles or New York, to continue her education in design. 

When Miles was 4 years old her grandmother taught her to sew. She had no idea that lesson would change the direction of her life and land her on runways at Fashion Weeks local and abroad.

Nothing about her life is ordinary.

She grew up in a place called Hampton, Ore. with a population of 13. Everyone in the town worked on their farms. There was no civilization for 65 miles in any direction, only a highway that passed through their fields. Her family owned the only restaurant in town, in which all the locals could sit at one table.

"I'm from the land of cowboys and indians, where the West is still wild," she said. 

Miles began working on her family's farm at the age of 7. She also helped serve up customers her mom's fresh baked cinnamon rolls at the family restaurant. She never imagined that sewing doll clothes in her spare time would lead to selling her first wedding dress at the age of 11.

"A lady in the community saw my doll clothes and said, 'I want that in my size.'"

While many brides may scoff at the idea of a seventh grader making the dress they would wear down the aisle, Miles was prepared to prove that she was up for the challenge.

"The fact that she believed in me to make her that beautiful on her wedding day was the most confidence I ever got from anyone."

Her mom, Rebecca Miles, remembers that day.

"She was very confident she could do it. She had no reservations."

Her first customer was happy, and more customers followed suit. She began making prom and party dresses for girls at school. Local grandmothers became repeat customers, buying dresses for their granddaughters. Soon she was online.

"Social media has been my biggest asset in sales."

She expanded her services at Kate's Couture, and began designing dresses for a rent-and-return collection she kept in her bedroom closet.

"I think it's a good option because you still have an option unique and pretty, but you don't have to pay as much for it." 

Last year Miles entered an emerging designers competition in Portland. With 31 other contenders, she was one of two winners. Their prize was a chance to have their creations grace the runway at Portland Fashion Week.

"Portland Fashion Week was something I stumbled across. I had no expectations from it, I just wanted to build a portfolio."

During the week's showcase, she was noticed by scouts recruiting for Vancouver Fashion Week in Canada. After returning home she got an email with an exclusive invitation to the invite-only runway show. 

There was only one problem: it came with a hefty price tag. She called the organizers to see if there was anything they could do to lower the cost. During the call they learned her age and made an exception.

"I got another email that said due to my youth and enthusiasm they would give a 25 percent discount." 

To come up with the money she used her savings, took odd jobs, and sold her horse. She knew that small sacrifices had to be made in the pursuit of the greater good. She gives her mom credit for her determination and ingenuity. 

"I really respect her for teaching us if we want something bad enough, we'll get it."

Miles got what she wanted.

This March, she traveled to Vancouver and took the stage at Fashion Week. At the show, reporters from the Vogue, Elle and The Huffington Post wanted to talk to the budding designer.

"I had no idea, but designers are kind of the royalty behind it. I thought it would be the models, but really, people want to meet the designer."

Her mom watched proudly as Miles mingled with industry elite while models paraded in her clothes.

"I never cease to be amazed that it's something she thought up and made. And then to see it on the runway; it's just crazy." 

Miles creates many of her designs from clothes she finds at thrift stores. She feels there's a romance in refurbishing and refreshing them, transforming them into an original work of art. She describes her style as, "Vintage inspired whimsy. Timeless, but exciting."

"I love the history of the fabrics and the stories hidden in the seams. I have so much fun thinking about the excitement of a young girl going to prom, or a bride who is about to walk down the aisle. It’s like the fabric never loses those emotions, and if you are willing to listen, they can’t wait to tell you. I love that those garments and their memories can live on in the dresses I make, and it’s definitely something I plan to incorporate throughout my career."

She shops for new fabrics to intertwine with the old, uniting them as her visions come to life. Her passion for fabric has been lifelong, according to her mom.

"She always loved fabrics. She would sleep with fabrics instead of teddy bears."

When Miles creates, it's most important to her that people feel happy and youthful in her clothes.

"I want an adult to put on a dress and feel like a 5-year-old playing dress up."

She estimates that one dress can take 30 hours to complete. Sometimes she remakes a dress multiple times until she feels it's perfect.

This May, she will travel to L.A. as a semifinalist for the first season of Project Runway Junior. If she makes the show, she will spend five weeks there this July competing for the crown on the spinoff of Bravo's hit show.

But she's keeping her guard up.

"If they want me to start crying and yell at people, then I don't need them." 

Her mom will travel with her and pay close attention to the expectations of the reality TV show.

"I think Project Runway is a little different, as it really appreciates the craft. So as long as it celebrates the craft that's okay."

Miles is keeping her options open for her future. 

"I'm not into rules, so as long as I'm creating I'll be happy. I would love a little boutique with haute couture."

Her mom has no doubt of Miles' ability to achieve her dreams.

"She loves to make people feel beautiful. I would never say that the fashion industry doesn't scare me, but Katherine has a lot of common sense and she knows who she is."

1 comment: