Friday, June 30, 2017

What I've learned about being human from dogs

I’ve learned many lessons in life from dogs; how to be a protector, a nurturer, a friend.  

The day I found Elsa was the day my lessons began. I was 8 years old, and my parents took me to the Summit Festival. As I wandered, I went to where people were gathered under an RV awning. There I saw a wire play pen with nine little furballs in it.

All of the puppies except for one were pressed against the wire, reaching as far as their little legs would stretch, trying to make their way into someone’s arms. In the back corner was Elsa. Her black body curled in a ball with a thin, white marking on her face that inspired her middle name, Arrow.

Her gaze was locked onto me. Her eyes demanded my attention. I made my way to her, and as I got close she got up from where she was tucked away and walked to me. Once she was in my arms I knew I wasn’t putting her down. She had chosen me.

Elsa was docile and attentive and full of love to give. There was not a mean streak in her soul. She was my companion and my adventure buddy. She pulled me in my plastic sled in the snow, she stood with me at the bus stop, she licked my tears away. She was my first best friend.

Although she was the ideal dog in the house or on the leash, she was a born runner. When a door was left open it was as if a switch flipped and she was driven to bolt through it.

It became apparent that she wasn’t running “away” from us. She was rather running around us, seeking freedom and opportunity like so many humans do. She always stayed within eyesight of the house, coming home when she was ready, sometimes days later.

Through her running I learned that sometimes we are compelled to follow our instincts. She tested my dedication to her time and time again. Even though I wanted to be mad at her, I accepted her with open arms every time she came home.

Elsa taught me that friends are always your friends no matter where they go or how long you have been apart. She taught me that if you love someone you forgive their flaws. She taught me that no one is perfect, even if they appear to be. She taught me patience and understanding.

It was because of Elsa that I found Sirrus. A neighbor admired our bond and told me of a friend who had puppies that needed a special home. The puppies weren’t like other puppies, she said.

Sirrus’ dad was purebred gray wolf, standing almost 5 feet tall with long legs, a slender body, and a mane like a lion. Her mom was half Mexican red wolf and half Rothweiler. Because of who she was born to, Sirrus would be outcasted from most family homes and was an unwelcomed resident of the Bay Area county in which I lived.

She was the only one of the litter that was stuck like glue to our ankles when we met her. It was clear, once again, I was chosen by my four-legged friend. We were to be her pack, and our duty to protect her had begun.

Because her coloring could pass as a German Shepherd mix, that was our cover story when people asked. When we brought her to the vet for the first time they saw her long, curved canines. We may have been able to hide what she was from others, but the vet knew her secret. We were lucky they didn’t confiscate and euthanize her as the county rule said they should.

Sirrus grew to the spitting image of a red wolf, petite and only 40 pounds. She was the most loyal, responsive, and intelligent “dog” I’ve ever known. The level in which she communicated with us was beyond anything I’ve experienced before. She was adored by everyone who knew her.

We spent her lifetime protecting her from people that associated “her kind” with characteristics she did not have. She was not vengeful or intimidating. She was kind and gentle. Never did she display aggression to us, Elsa, or any other dog.

Sirrus taught me that we are not always what people expect us to be. That we can learn to see past labels. She taught me how to stand up for those that need an advocate. She taught me that everyone should have a chance to be loved. She taught me compassion and acceptance.

I’ve been fortunate to learn how to be a better member of society because of my dogs. I believe their pure, unwavering devotion can teach us all valuable lessons about being the best version of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment