Saturday, February 22, 2014

LBCC: First Annual SLC Presidential Debate

Photo Courtesy of LBCC Commuter

On Feb. 18 the Hot Shot Café transformed into a presidential platform for the first annual debate between two SLC President hopefuls.

About 20 students gathered around the café snacking on pizza and soda. All eyes were on Adelaine Carter and Jeff Lehn. The debate was just under an hour and was structured with the same question asked to both candidates.

Mediator Reis Taylor explained prior to the debate the purpose of the event.

“Our questions will shed some insight on who these students are as people and what they are about.”

Taylor welcomed the crowd and read the rules of the debate. Each candidate would be given two minutes to answer each question with an optional one minute rebuttal. After questions from the mediator were completed the audience would have a chance to ask their own questions. Lehn won the coin toss to start first.

The following answers are paraphrased from the candidate answers.

Mediator Questions

Q: What would you do to benefit students?
Lehn: I would ask them what they would like. For example, a recent survey said that students want better wi-fi on campus.
Carter: I would create a bridge between students and staff. This is a community college so they deserve a community.

Q: What do you think needs to be changed?
Carter: People don’t know that SLC exists. I would create overall awareness and get involved with different clubs so that people know we are here.
Lehn: I will encourage students to get involved with campus. Whether it be just attending games, I would encourage them to put effort into something that gets them involved.

Q: What do you hope to gain when you are SLC president?
Lehn: There are fantastic students on this campus that should be celebrated. I hope to work with them and give them the shine they deserve, for example, the ROV club.
Carter: I hope to gain a created sense of community so students can recognize accomplished students on campus and people walking around know who each other are.

Q: What do you think makes a great leader?
Carter: Someone who leads by example. Someone who understands what people want and helps them do the things they want to do.
Lehn: To get out of the way and let people do what they want. To utilize their talent and keep them focused on their goals.

Q: What do you think is the biggest challenge for students?
Lehn: Time. The average student is 26 years old so the biggest challenge is juggling their families and jobs. People have to make priorities.
Carter: Resources. Whether it is lack of finances or lack of time, people need resources to help them survive on campus. I can make events more during the time students are at school and for free or low cost to them.

Audience Questions

Q: Where do you see the future of LBCC going?
Carter: I would like to see more things successful on campus to boost school spirit. People want to be involved when things are well organized.
Lehn: I think the campus we have is great from my experience on other campuses. We can always use improvement and I want to hear from the students what that improvement needs to be.

Q: What’s your stance on smoking on campus? Would you fight for our right to keep the smoking shacks?
Lehn: Personally I don’t smoke but I would leave the smoking shacks where they are. I wouldn’t push for a smoke-free campus.
Carter: I don’t smoke and I’m not a huge fan of it but I would be an advocate to keep them, it’s your choice.

Q: Do you think there is room for improvement on disability services?
Carter: If I was made aware of an issue I would be a voice to help you. Things can always be improved.
Lehn: My son is autistic so I know where you are coming from. We have to look at everything as a whole but I would be willing to address an issue if I was aware there was a problem.

Q: What for you has personally been the biggest struggle on campus?
Lehn: The majority of people have laptops and iPads bogging down the wi-fi. This needs to be addressed.
Carter: Tuition prices. I think there is room for improvement.

Q: What is your opinion of the flash alerts sent to students?
Carter: I would like to see improvements by at least 30 minutes.
Lehn: I would like to see it a lot faster. If there was a way to make it faster I would do it.

Q: What are you going to do to reduce the cost of textbooks?
Lehn: That’s tricky because the bookstore doesn’t set their own prices but you can check online and find much better deals. Personally, I’m all for open source books.
Carter: I would love to see them lower but it’s a bigger issue since the book store doesn’t set the prices.

Q: On a scale from 1 to 10, how busy were you this term?
Lehn: I put in eight to ten hours and day at school in classes or clubs, so pretty busy. I would say 8.
Carter: Probably and 8 or 9, it’s getting pretty close to a 10.

Q: With both of you so close to a 10 how will you juggle SLC?
Carter: Time management. My presidential duties come first. If it comes between hanging out with friends and my duties as president then fun time will have to wait.
Lehn:  I am very thankful for my in-laws. If it weren’t for them things would be much more difficult. It’s all about time management and I’ll make the time.

Taylor concluded the debate reminding the crowd that the application deadline for other SLC positions is Feb. 28. Applications can be picked up in the SLC office.

When attendee Nikita Kornilov was asked if he had heard enough from both candidates to make his voting decision he said, “Yes, I did.”

Brandon Vance, SLC executive assistant, was in attendance and was asked how he felt the debate went.

“I was looking to see how they would vocalize their priorities as president. I think they both did a good job representing themselves. I think either one of them will do a fantastic job.”

Due to lack of candidates to run this year, the person receiving the least amount of votes will automatically become the vice president. After the debate both candidates were asked about their excitement to work with the other.

“We already work together in the SLC so there’s already a camaraderie. We are both very excited and we make a good team,” said Carter.

“We can both learn from each other. I will fill in where I’m needed. I’ll be happy with either one,” said Lehn.

The SLC set a goal to get at least 220 votes this year. Voting is scheduled in the Hot Shot Café on Feb. 26-27. Voting booths will also be set up at the Benton Center and Lebanon campus.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment